Does it seem you just can’t seem to switch off at bedtime? Well this simple breathing technique could be the answer. Dr. Andrew Weil’s 4-7-8 breathing technique.
The technique is called 4-7-8 Breathing, and it has 5 easy steps.
- Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth, right behind your front teeth.
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4.
- Hold your breath for a count of 7.
- Release your breath from your mouth with a whooshing sound for a count of 8.
- Breathe in again for a count of 4, repeating the entire technique 3-4 times in a row, then resume normal breathing and activity.
If you time the process count your breaths, the whole exercise will take just under 60 seconds!
Watch Dr. Weil Demonstrate The Method
Does The Sleep Hack Really Work?
Don’t expect results right way, Dr. Weil claims it takes up to two months till you’ve properly trained your body to fall asleep that fast. Once you’ve mastered it though, Dr. Weil promises the technique will become more and more effective.
Breathing exercises can work because they work in the same way as meditation: It helps people quiet the mind and let go of negative thoughts.
The truth is that Dr. Weil’s 4-7-8 sleep method takes practicing this twice a day over two months to see the effects of the technique until you can truly fall asleep in a minute.